#pontyberem — Public Fediverse posts
Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #pontyberem, aggregated by home.social.
-
Campaigners lodge formal complaint over Pontyates GP surgery closure plans
The move comes as the health board’s eight-week public engagement exercise draws to a close, with the Save Our Surgery group claiming the consultation has been flawed and lacking transparency.
In a letter sent to Hywel Dda’s Chief Executive Philip Kloer, campaigners outlined what they describe as “numerous concerns” about the integrity of the decision-making process. The complaint has also been shared with Welsh Government Health Secretary Jeremy Miles, patient advocacy body Llais, and local elected representatives.
Clare Treharne, who leads the campaign group, said residents had engaged with the consultation despite ongoing concerns.
“Since it was belatedly announced, we have encouraged the community to actively engage in the consultation exercise, but grave concerns remain about the way the Health Board has conducted this process and we felt it was our duty to record those formally.”
Strong turnout at public meetings
The complaint follows two public drop-in sessions held as part of the consultation.
A meeting at Pontyates Welfare Hall saw large crowds attend, with some residents forced to queue outside to voice their concerns. A second session in Pontyberem also drew steady attendance, including patients from Coalbrook Surgery, which could see a significant increase in patients if the closure goes ahead.
Residents raised concerns over whether neighbouring surgeries would be able to cope with an influx of patients, with fears over long waiting times and limited public transport options for those without access to a car.
Residents packed into a public meeting to discuss the future of Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery. (Credit: Papur y Cwm)Jane Nicholas, who attended both sessions, said she remained unconvinced by the health board’s justification for closing the surgery.
“They pointed to the lack of salaried GPs at Meddygfa’r Sarn, but when challenged, they admitted that only one permanent doctor is employed at Minafon surgery in Kidwelly for twice the number of patients.
“They were also unable to reassure us about capacity at Coalbrook… that will not be sufficient to serve 3,000 extra patients transferring all at once.”
Concerns over report accuracy
Other residents have challenged claims made about the condition of the surgery building.
Angharad Rees, who works in Pontyates, questioned suggestions that the site is at risk of flooding.
“The surgery was purposely built on a raised platform to mitigate any risk,” she said, adding that landlords had not been informed of alleged defects mentioned in the report.
She also disputed suggestions that the building’s lease posed an issue, claiming the current owners are willing to renew it on existing terms.
Extra consultation session added
Amid growing concern, an additional drop-in session has now been scheduled at Carway Village Hall on March 31, running from 1pm to 6.30pm.
Campaigners and local councillors are urging residents to attend and complete the official survey before it closes on April 6.
However, the group has criticised the health board’s promotion of the consultation events, claiming they were advertised online only, leaving community volunteers to distribute printed materials locally.
Long-running campaign
The latest developments are the newest chapter in an ongoing row over the future of Meddygfa’r Sarn, which serves around 4,300 patients.
Swansea Bay News has previously reported on widespread community opposition, including protests, a human chain around the surgery, and warnings from councillors that confidence in the process has “collapsed”.
Campaigners say the fight will continue as they push for the surgery to remain open.
Related coverage: Pontyates GP surgery row
Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt
Plans to disperse 4,300 patients spark concern across the community.Community backlash grows over closure fears
Residents warn losing the surgery would be a “massive blow”.Hundreds protest to save Pontyates surgery
Large crowds gather as pressure mounts on decision-makers.Councillors lose confidence in process
Local leaders raise serious concerns about how decisions are being made.Eight-week consultation launched
#CarmarthenshireNews #communityCampaign #GPSurgeryClosure #HywelDdaHealthBoard #Kidwelly #localHealthcare #MeddygfaRSarn #NHSWales #Pontyates #Pontyberem #PublicConsultation #SaveOurSurgery #WelshHealthNews
Residents invited to have their say on the surgery’s future. -
Health board to hold extra public meeting on controversial Pontyates GP surgery closure plans
The health board has confirmed it will hold a drop-in event at Carway Hall on Tuesday 31 March, between 2pm and 6.30pm, for patients and residents to share their views on the proposed closure of Meddygfa’r Sarn.
The announcement comes amid an ongoing eight-week engagement period, which was launched after the health board voted in January to seek feedback on a recommendation to disperse the surgery’s 4,300 patients to neighbouring practices.
That proposal has sparked a furious backlash from the local community, with hundreds of people attending protest meetings and councillors demanding the health board halt the closure plans.
In a statement, the health board said the surgery has faced what it describes as “ongoing and significant staffing challenges” and currently has no permanently employed GPs. The board also claims the building is small and offers limited facilities.
It says that a Vacant Practice Panel reviewed the options and recommended that the most sustainable long-term solution would be for patients to be transferred to their nearest neighbouring practice.
The health board added this may include Coalbrook Surgery in Pontyberem, Meddygfa Minafon in Kidwelly, or, for some patients, practices in Llanelli.
Andrew Carruthers, Chief Operating Officer at Hywel Dda University Health Board, said the extra meeting was a chance for more people to have their say.
“We’re pleased to offer this additional opportunity in Carway to ensure more people, particularly those in surrounding communities, have the chance to speak directly with us and share their views about what the proposal means for them.”
The health board has confirmed the engagement period runs until 6 April.
It said all feedback will be collated and presented to the board ahead of its meeting on 28 May, when a final decision is expected to be made.
The health board also confirmed that Meddygfa’r Sarn will remain open as usual during the engagement period.
Patients can also provide feedback by completing the questionnaire posted to their home address or online at haveyoursay.hduhb.wales.nhs.uk, by calling 0300 303 8322 (option 5), or by emailing [email protected].
#Carway #GP #GPSurgery #GPSurgeryClosure #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #Kidwelly #MeddygfaRSarn #NHS #Pontyates #Pontyberem -
Council demands action on Pontyates surgery closure as councillors warn of “predetermined outcome”
The motion, proposed by Plaid Cymru councillors Alex Evans and Tyssul Evans and passed at today’s full Carmarthenshire County Council meeting, calls on both Welsh Government and Hywel Dda to explain why closure has been identified as the “preferred option” before full community consultation has taken place.
The debate saw 11 councillors speak, with powerful criticisms of the health board’s engagement process and warnings that neighbouring GP surgeries are already operating “beyond full capacity” and cannot absorb thousands more patients.
Cllr Alex Evans told the chamber that Hywel Dda had informed local councillors the current engagement “will not consider alternatives to closure, only the impact the closure would have.”
“That is not engagement on securing the future of a service, that is an engagement on managing its loss,” he said. “If an engagement does not consider an alternative, it inevitably creates the impression that the outcome has already been decided.”
He warned that relocating thousands of patients to already stretched practices “will not remove pressure from the system, it just redistributes it.”
“Our communities should not have to suffer the consequences of a national failure of government to train, recruit and retain GPs,” Cllr Evans said, noting that around 100 GP surgeries have closed in Wales since 2012 whilst GP numbers have barely increased since 2008.
“Closure must be the last option, not the easiest one,” he concluded.
Public transport nightmare
Cllr Tyssul Evans highlighted the absurdity of public transport options for patients without cars, revealing that whilst Pontyates and Kidwelly are less than six miles apart by direct route, patients relying on buses would face a 15-mile journey one way via Llanelli, or a 20-mile journey via Carmarthen.
“This means a six-mile journey becomes either a 30-mile or 40-mile round trip for elderly, disabled, or vulnerable patients needing regular appointments,” he said.
Cross-community solidarity
Cllr Liam Bowen, representing Pontyberem, said the manager of Colebrook Surgery in his village was supporting the campaign to save Meddygfa’r Sarn, despite the practice being prepared to take displaced patients if necessary.
He revealed that Colebrook already has over 5,000 registered patients, and local people are concerned that adding thousands more following the closure of Tumble Surgery and potentially Pontyates would lead to unacceptable waiting times.
“The residents of Pontyberem are standing firmly with the residents of Pontyates,” Cllr Bowen said. “Closing Sarn surgery is another example of care services being taken out of our rural communities.”
Pattern of failed consultations
Independent councillor Sean Rees delivered a devastating critique of Hywel Dda’s consultation processes, listing multiple examples where community engagement had failed to meaningfully consider alternatives.
“Local GP surgeries are not simply just buildings where appointments take place, they are the front door to our national health service,” he said.
Cllr Rees said he had spoken to many Llanelli-based GP practices, and many were already operating “at full capacity, and many would say they are beyond that.”
“Appointment books are filled within minutes. Patients speak of repeated attempts to try and get through on the phone at 8am in the morning,” he said.
“To simply suggest that thousands more patients can be absorbed into a system without any consequence at all is just simply not credible.”
He cited failures in consultations over the minor injuries unit at Prince Philip Hospital, last week’s clinical services plan outcomes, the relocation of the Dyfed Drug and Alcohol service, and ongoing questions regarding blood testing services that were due to move to Pentre Awel last year but remain unresolved.
“When these commitments are made and when timelines slip without clear explanation, confidence erodes and trust weakens,” Cllr Rees said.
“If a board’s report has already identified closure as a preferred option before any full community consultation, then it is absolutely entirely understandable that the residents will fear that the outcomes are predetermined. That undermines trust and once that public trust is damaged it is extremely difficult to rebuild. We simply cannot allow this pattern to continue.”
Housing growth contradicts closure
Cllr Steve Williams questioned how the closure could be justified when new housing is being built in the area and the population is rising.
“What is the Senedd doing to ensure that primary care is available to those that need it the most?” he asked, demanding Welsh Government oversight on healthcare planning.
Community protest
Cllr Meinir James noted that over 200 local residents and councillors had formed a human chain around the surgery on Monday in a “Cwtsh or Sarn” solidarity event, following a petition that has gathered over 1,000 signatures.
Impact on neighbouring surgeries
The motion highlighted that if Meddygfa’r Sarn closes, Colebrook Surgery in Pontyberem would receive an extra 3,000 patients – a 60 per cent increase – taking its total to 8,000, whilst Minafon in Kidwelly would gain 1,000 extra patients, taking it to over 9,000.
National workforce crisis
Cllr Evans told councillors that according to Llais, 91 per cent of GPs say they cannot meet patient demand in Wales, and BMA Cymru has warned of a GP workforce crisis, with alarmingly over 10 per cent of GPs under 40 leaving the workforce in 2023.
He said Welsh Government is spending a “record low 6 per cent of the budget on Primary Care” at a time when services are being reduced not because they are no longer needed, but because the workforce is not there.
Minor dissent
Two councillors raised concerns about the motion’s tone. Cllr Michael Thomas claimed it was “too negative” and didn’t outline alternatives, whilst Cllr Martyn Palfreyman criticised what he called “partisan comments” from Cllr Alex Evans in blaming Welsh Government.
Cllr Evans disputed the partisan claim, saying he had not mentioned any political parties and that the opposition Labour group had not submitted any amendments to the motion despite having the opportunity to do so.
What the motion demands
The motion calls on Welsh Government to explain what steps are being taken to prevent GP surgery closures across Wales and to ensure that alternatives to closure are genuinely considered in all cases.
It demands that Hywel Dda University Health Board publish its Health Impact Assessment and Equality Impact Assessment, explain why closure was identified as the preferred option before full consultation, and publish its assessment of all alternatives to closure.
The motion was passed following the debate.
#CarmarthenshireCouncil #CarmarthenshireCountyCouncil #CllrAlexEvans #CllrLiamBowen #CllrMeinirJames #CllrSeanRees #CllrSteveWilliams #CllrTyssulEvans #GPSurgery #GPSurgeryClosure #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #Kidwelly #MeddygfaRSarn #Pontyates #Pontyberem -
Landslide washes away section of Carmarthenshire cycle path
Path collapse near Tumble
The Walk Wheel Cycle Trust Cymru (formerly Sustrans) confirmed that a landslide has taken out part of the route linking Tumble and Pontyberem. The charity’s estates team has been on site to close the affected section and warn users not to approach the area.
A spokesperson said:
“Please do not approach the site as it is extremely dangerous and unstable. Our team are working to close the path and ensure route users are aware on the ground. We are working with local partners to secure the site and it will remain closed. A diversion will be put in place as soon as possible.”
Council urges public to stay away
Carmarthenshire County Council confirmed the landslide and said the area has been fenced off. A spokesperson added:
“There has been a significant landslide which has taken out a section of the Sustrans Cycle Route linking Tumble and Pontyberem. We urge the public to keep away from the area for safety reasons. The path is owned and maintained by Sustrans, now known as the Walk Wheel Cycle Trust.”
Climate change warning
Local Member of the Senedd Lee Waters described the collapse as a stark reminder of the impact of extreme weather. Sharing an image of the damaged path, he said:
“The impact of flooding is being felt right across the local area today. This picture of the cycle path washed away near Tumble is a pretty stark illustration of how climate change is impacting us here and now – the experts are agreed that heavy rainfall and more intense storms are a direct consequence of man‑made climate change.”
He also thanked the emergency services, Carmarthenshire Council and local volunteers for their efforts in supporting communities affected by flooding over the past 24 hours.
Wider flooding impact
The landslide comes as Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service declared a major incident following more than 450 flooding‑related calls in 12 hours, with rescues carried out in Whitland, Ferryside, Kidwelly, Lampeter and St Clears. Swansea has also been hit, with Cwmbwrla roundabout once again submerged.
Related Articles
Major incident declared as flooding triggers rescues across West Wales and Swansea
Fire crews carry out dramatic rescues in Whitland, Ferryside, Kidwelly, Lampeter and St Clears, with Cwmbwrla once again submerged.Cwmbwrla roundabout submerged again as flooding hits Swansea and wider region
Torrential rain leaves roads under water and causes disruption across South West Wales.Council blames collapsed culvert – not drains – for Cwmbwrla flooding
Swansea Council says a collapsed culvert is behind repeated flooding at the busy junction.Flooding devastates Carmarthenshire dog sanctuary as fire crews rescue 34 animals
Firefighters save dozens of dogs after floodwaters engulf Glanrhyd Dog Sanctuary near Kidwelly.Landslide washes away section of Carmarthenshire cycle path
A section of NCN 47 near Tumble has collapsed after flooding, with the route closed for safety.#CarmarthenshireCouncil #CarmarthenshireCountyCouncil #cyclePath #flooding #landslide #LeeWatersMS #Pontyberem #Sustrans #Tumble #WalkWheelCycleTrustCymru