home.social

#pontiets — Public Fediverse posts

Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #pontiets, aggregated by home.social.

  1. PONTYATES: Independent candidate and surgery patient calls on Hywel Dda to scrap Meddygfa’r Sarn closure after FOI recruitment revelation

    An independent Senedd candidate who is himself a patient at Meddygfa’r Sarn has called on Hywel Dda University Health Board to scrap its recommendation to close the Pontyates surgery – after Freedom of Information documents revealed the board made no targeted attempts to recruit a salaried GP to the practice in nine years.

    Carl Peters-Bond, Mayor of Kidwelly and independent candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, said the FOI revelation directly contradicted the impression given in the health board’s own January report, which cited a lack of recruitment interest as a key reason for recommending closure.

    “This is duplicitous, beyond fairness, and misleading behaviour from Hywel Dda,” he said. “They cited a lack of recruitment interest as justification for closing this surgery – but they never actually tried to recruit anyone. Sending a circular letter to locums already on the books is not a recruitment campaign. Those responsible for presenting this to the board in the way they did need to be held to account.”

    The FOI documents, obtained by the Save Meddygfa’r Sarn Working Group and reported by Swansea Bay News last week, show that since Hywel Dda took over management of the practice in 2017, the only recruitment activity undertaken was a small number of circular letters sent to locums already working across managed practices – asking whether any wished to take up salaried roles. No targeted recruitment campaign was ever run specifically for Meddygfa’r Sarn.

    Peters-Bond also raised concerns about the consultation process itself, which he said had failed to ask the right question. “The health board’s consultation only asked people about the impact of the closure – not whether the closure should happen at all,” he said. “That is not a fair or genuine consultation. In light of what these FOI documents have revealed, I am calling on health board bosses to scrap the closure proposal entirely and go back to the drawing board.”

    The campaign to save Meddygfa’r Sarn has been running since January 2026, when the health board first proposed dispersing all 4,300 patients to other surgeries. Hundreds of residents protested and the council demanded action in February as fears grew the outcome had been predetermined by the health board. Campaigners held a human chain around the surgery in February and lodged a formal complaint over the consultation process in March.

    The working group subsequently submitted a 52-page report and sustainability document to the board alongside a new clinical proposal for the surgery’s future. A temporary lifeline was granted when the board delayed its final decision in January – but that decision is now due on 28 May.

    Hywel Dda University Health Board’s January report stated that the practice was “entirely locum-dependent” and that there had been “little interest in recruitment to salaried roles” – the characterisation that Peters-Bond disputes.

    The final decision on the future of Meddygfa’r Sarn will be made at the Hywel Dda University Health Board meeting on Wednesday 28 May at Yr Egin in Carmarthen.

    Our Meddygfa’r Sarn coverage

    PONTYATES: FOI reveals no specific recruitment attempts for Sarn surgery GP in 9 years
    Our original report on the FOI revelation that prompted this reaction.

    Senedd candidate joins campaign to save Meddygfa’r Sarn as pressure on health board mounts
    Our previous coverage of Carl Peters-Bond’s involvement in the campaign.

    Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt as health board considers dispersing all 4,300 patients
    Our original report when the closure threat first emerged.

    #CarlPetersBond #HywelDdaNHS #MeddygfaRSarn #PontIets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery #SeneddElection2026
  2. Councillors demand halt to Pontyates GP surgery closure plans as pressure mounts on Hywel Dda

    The intervention comes just five days after Swansea Bay News first revealed the surgery’s future was in doubt on 22 January, sparking immediate concern among residents and community leaders.

    In a letter sent yesterday to the Chair and Chief Executive of Hywel Dda, Pontyates councillors Alex Evans, Tyssul Evans and Meinir James set out a series of objections to the proposal, which is due to go out to public consultation on 9 February.

    They say the health board appears to have a “preferred option” of closure before the consultation has even begun, and warn that the impact on patients has not been properly assessed.

    The councillors argue that forcing thousands of patients to register elsewhere would pile pressure onto already overstretched practices in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and surrounding communities. For many residents — particularly older people, disabled patients, carers and those without cars — reaching alternative surgeries would require taking two buses.

    They have asked the health board to confirm whether an Equality Impact Assessment and Health Impact Assessment have been completed and published, and say no consultation should begin until this work is done.

    The letter also calls for a pause to the process and “meaningful engagement” with the community on alternatives to closure. A written response has been requested as a matter of urgency.

    Llanelli MP Dame Nia Griffith said she “very much shares patients’ concerns” and has asked health board bosses to attend a public meeting with residents as part of the consultation.

    The fight to save the surgery comes as Pontyates faces another major battle over local services. Earlier this month, villagers secured a temporary stay of closure for Pontyates Primary School, but parents warned the reprieve was only the start of a longer campaign.

    Residents say losing both the school and the GP surgery would hollow out the village and leave families without essential services.

    With the consultation on Meddygfa’r Sarn due to open in early February, campaigners say the next few weeks will be crucial for the future of healthcare in the Gwendraeth Valley.

    Related stories from Swansea Bay News

    Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt as health board considers dispersing all 4,300 patients
    Initial report revealing the threat to Meddygfa’r Sarn and the scale of the impact on local healthcare.

    Community backlash grows as residents warn closure of Pontyates GP surgery would be a ‘massive blow’
    Residents speak out as fears rise over losing the village’s only GP practice.

    Pontyates villagers vow to continue fight to save school
    The community secures a temporary stay of closure for the primary school but warns the battle isn’t over.

    #CllrAlexEvans #CllrMeinirJames #CllrTyssulEvans #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #MeddygfaRSarn #NiaGriffithMP #Pontiets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery #YsgolPontiets
  3. Community backlash grows as residents warn closure of Pontyates GP surgery would be “a massive blow”

    The outcry follows Swansea Bay News’ report that Hywel Dda University Health Board is considering dispersing all 4,300 patients from Meddygfa’r Sarn to neighbouring practices from June 2026. Local councillors said they were “shocked” to learn of the proposal and had received no prior warning.

    Councillors say they were blindsided by the announcement

    Cllr Tyssul Evans and Cllr Meinir James, who both represent Llangyndeyrn Ward, and Cllr Alex Evans, who represents Glyn Ward, said they only discovered the proposal when the health board’s press release appeared on Facebook.

    Cllr Tyssul Evans, Cllr Meinir James (Llangyndeyrn Ward) and Cllr Alex Evans (Glyn Ward) said:

    “We were shocked to learn yesterday, via a press release shared on Facebook, of Hywel Dda University Health Board’s plans to consider closing Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates. We had no prior knowledge that the surgery was even at risk of closing and we fully appreciate the anxiety and concern this announcement will have caused for patients and residents.

    “We understand the real concerns about how patients would be able to access GP care if the 4,300 patients registered in Pontyates were transferred to other surgeries in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and Llanelli. There is no direct bus route to Pontyberem for many patients registered at Meddygfa’r Sarn and there is no direct bus for anyone to Kidwelly. We also appreciate the potential knock‑on effect this could have on other local services in the village, including the chemist.

    “We want to reassure everyone that we will do everything we can to save the surgery in Pontyates from closing. We will be launching a petition and outlining the further actions we propose to take in support of a campaign to save Meddygfa’r Sarn next week. We will be sure to keep you all fully updated as these details are finalised.”

    Residents say closure would leave thousands cut off

    Dozens of residents have now taken to social media to condemn the potential closure, describing the surgery as a lifeline for Pontyates and surrounding villages.

    Many warned that neighbouring practices in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and Llanelli are already overstretched, with long waits for appointments and limited capacity.

    Phillip Griffiths said the plan “makes no sense”, arguing that Pontyates Surgery is centrally located, has good parking and sits next to the village chemist. Others raised fears that the chemist itself could be at risk if the GP service disappears.

    Kaye Hamer said many residents simply had no way of travelling to other surgeries. Jo Clarke warned the move would hit older patients hardest, saying it was “wrong” to expect people who have lived in the village all their lives to travel miles for care.

    Lorraine Edwards said the proposal came “just when you think healthcare couldn’t get any worse”, while Andrew Williams said neighbouring practices already rely heavily on locum doctors, making continuity of care difficult.

    Front view of Meddygfa’r Sarn in Pontyates, the GP surgery at the centre of proposals to disperse its patient list. Image: Google Maps.

    Concerns over transport, capacity and impact on elderly patients

    Residents repeatedly highlighted the lack of direct bus routes to Pontyberem and Kidwelly, with some journeys requiring multiple changes and taking hours.

    Julie Harry said public transport was “absolutely non‑existent”, while Andrea Gower questioned how the health board expected patients to travel at all. She also disputed claims the site sits on a flood plain, saying she had “never seen the place flooded”.

    Others warned the closure would be a “massive blow” to the village, particularly for elderly and vulnerable residents.

    Lisa Evans‑James said her 93‑year‑old grandmother had relied on the surgery for decades and could not travel further afield. She said the practice offered continuity, familiarity and reassurance that could not be replaced by dispersing patients across multiple towns.

    “This surgery isn’t just a building – it’s familiar faces, continuity of care, and reassurance,” she said. “To the health board we may just be numbers on a list, but behind every number is a person, a family, and a real need for accessible care.”

    Petition launched as anger builds

    A petition launched by local resident Clare Treharne has gathered more than 500 signatures in less than 24 hours. She warned that dispersing patients would mean longer travel distances, reduced continuity of care and increased pressure on already overstretched practices.

    The petition calls on Hywel Dda to reject the proposal, consult properly with residents and commit to keeping GP services in Pontyates.

    Health board urged to rethink

    Many residents accused the health board of failing to understand the geography of the area or the realities of rural transport.

    Helen Thomas said Pontyberem Surgery “can’t cope as it is”, while Ryan Hayhurst described the proposal as “outrageous”. Others warned the move would push more patients into already overstretched A&E departments.

    Caroline Owens Green said the community “can’t sit back and let the health board push this through”, while Kerry Jane Hards said life would be “desperate” without the surgery.

    Hywel Dda University Health Board has said no final decision has been made and that it will consider feedback before any recommendation is taken forward.

    Related stories from Swansea Bay News

    Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt
    Health board confirms it is considering dispersing all 4,300 patients to neighbouring practices.

    Petition: Save Meddygfa’r Sarn GP Surgery
    More than 500 people sign within 24 hours as residents rally to protect local healthcare.

    #CllrAlexEvans #CllrMeinirJames #CllrTyssulEvans #GP #GPSurgery #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #Llangyndeyrn #MeddygfaRSarn #petition #Pontiets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery