#ysgolmaesydderwen — Public Fediverse posts
Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #ysgolmaesydderwen, aggregated by home.social.
-
ARREST MADE: Teenager held over Ysgol Maesydderwen threats that sparked school shutdown
Dyfed Powys Police confirmed that the teenager, from Pontardawe, was taken into police custody on suspicion of sending digital communications conveying threats of death or serious harm, with the intent to cause fear.
His arrest follows an intense investigation by Dyfed Powys Police into the alarming messages that led to the Ystradgynlais school being shut down on February 27 and 28, according to the force.
The threats had a “profound impact” on pupils, parents, and staff, causing widespread disruption and anxiety, Dyfed Powys Police stated.
Powys Superintendent Gareth Grant extended his gratitude to the community for their support and patience during the challenging period.
“I’d firstly like to thank the parents, teachers, staff and the wider community, for the support and patience you have shown whilst we have carried out our enquiries in relation to this incident,” Superintendent Grant said.
He acknowledged the severe emotional toll the incident had taken, stating: “I understand this will have had a profound impact.”
Superintendent Grant also moved to reassure residents, confirming that Neighbourhood officers would maintain a visible presence in the area.
“Our Neighbourhood officers will maintain a local presence for reassurance, and we will continue to work with our local secondary schools, and partners, to ensure our local community are supported,” he added.
The school had previously been forced to close for a second day after a fresh threat emerged just hours after the initial incident.
Parents and guardians had been left scrambling for childcare arrangements as the school remained shut, with many expressing their concern over the safety of their children.
The arrest marks a significant development in the ongoing investigation, and Dyfed Powys Police expressed hope it would bring a sense of relief to the worried community.
Dyfed Powys Police have urged anyone with further information to contact them on 101, reiterating their commitment to supporting the community.
#arrest #CommunitySafety #DyfedPowysPolice #education #featured #Pontardawe #SchoolThreats #YsgolMaesydderwen #Ystradgynlais -
School to reopen after second threat in 24 hours forces two-day closure
Dyfed-Powys Police has confirmed that a second threat was received by the Ystradgynlais school in the form of an email on Monday evening.
It followed an initial telephone threat on Monday morning which led to the school being closed for the day.
The second threat meant the school remained closed today (Tuesday 3 March) while police enquiries continued.
However, following a review of the circumstances, the school has now decided to reopen on Wednesday 4 March.
Police have said there will be an increased presence in the area to provide reassurance to pupils, staff, and the local community.
Superintendent Gareth Grant said: “We understand this is a very unsettling time for the school’s pupils, teachers, parents and wider community.
“I want to reassure the public that there is no evidence to suggest any threat against any other schools or businesses in the local area.
“Our priority is to ensure the safety of pupils and teachers at the school, and we are working closely with Powys County Council and the senior leaders at Ysgol Maesydderwen to this end.
“I want to thank the community for their understanding and patience while we carry out our enquiries. The impact of school closures on parents and carers cannot be underestimated, and I extend my thanks to everyone who has supported us to this point.”
Police have said they will continue to share more information as soon as they are able to.
#schoolLockdown #YsgolMaesydderwen #Ystradgynlais -
Maesydderwen school closed for second day as police investigate telephone threat
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers would maintain a presence at the school as the investigation continues, and that no arrests have yet been made.
The school, which has more than 540 pupils from year seven to sixth form, was placed in lockdown on Monday morning after police received a report of a threat made over the telephone at around 10.45am.
A cordon was erected outside the school and multiple police vehicles remained at the scene throughout Monday afternoon, with pupils allowed to leave the site in small groups rather than all at once.
All pupils and staff were released safely on Monday afternoon. In an update issued on Monday evening, police said there was “no evidence of any ongoing risk to pupils or staff.”
However, a further development in the investigation overnight led to the decision to keep the school closed on Tuesday.
In a statement, police said: “Following a development in the investigation into a threat made over the phone in relation to Maesydderwen Comprehensive School, a decision has been made by the school not to reopen tomorrow (Tuesday, March 3).
“There will be a police presence at the school as officers continue to investigate, and we will provide updates whenever possible.”
Police added that patrols would be carried out in the coming days to provide reassurance to pupils, staff, parents and the wider community.
Parents and carers are being kept informed about the school’s reopening through the school app.
Powys County Council confirmed it was aware of the incident. School governor and local county councillor Susan McNicholas confirmed police were at the scene on Monday but was unable to provide further details at the time.
The school was placed in special measures — the highest level of Estyn monitoring — in January 2025, following an inspection that raised concerns about the quality of teaching and attendance.
#DyfedPowysPolice #education #Maesydderwen #Powys #schoolLockdown #SouthPowys #YsgolMaesydderwen #Ystradgynlais