home.social

#swansea-waterfront — Public Fediverse posts

Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #swansea-waterfront, aggregated by home.social.

fetched live
  1. SWANSEA: Police impose 48-hour dispersal order on city centre after Easter holiday disorder

    The Section 35 order, granted under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, came into force on Wednesday and runs until 9.30am on Friday 10 April. It covers a wide area including the Quadrant shopping centre and bus station, Parc Tawe, the Kingsway, Dyfatty, and the area surrounding the National Waterfront Museum.

    A Section 35 order gives police the power to instruct anyone who is causing — or is likely to cause — harassment, alarm or distress to leave a defined area for up to 48 hours. Refusing to leave when directed by an officer is a criminal offence, as is returning to the area within the specified period.

    South Wales Police Section 35 notice area in Swansea

    Acting Chief Inspector Andrew Hedley said the order had been authorised following an unacceptable number of reports of youths congregating and causing violence and disorder.

    “We are increasing our patrols in the area and intensifying our approach,” he said. “This means that any young person found committing anti-social behaviour in the area will face formal action.”

    Among the incidents prompting the order, a police officer was assaulted by a 14-year-old girl, who was subsequently arrested. A teenage boy was also arrested for engaging in disorder over the weekend, with his mother having to collect him from the custody suite.

    Acting Chief Inspector Hedley issued a direct message to parents. “I would urge parents to assist us by checking where their children are going and what activities they are engaging in,” he said. “On the weekend, one mother experienced the stress of having to come to collect her son from the custody suite after he had been arrested for engaging in disorder — this is not a scenario we want to see repeated.”

    He added: “Officers will not hesitate to enforce these extra powers in order to keep the community safe. Everyone should be able to come into Swansea city centre during the sunny weather and enjoy their time free of any form of harassment or anti-social behaviour.”

    The inclusion of Dyfatty in the dispersal zone is significant. South Wales Police launched the Dyfatty Clear Hold Build project in March — a major long-term operation targeting serious organised crime, anti-social behaviour and community safety concerns in the area around High Street North and the nearby tower blocks. The project follows a national model backed by the Home Office, with a year-long police crackdown as its first phase.

    Running alongside the policing operation is a £20 million regeneration programme aimed at transforming Dyfatty over the next decade. Swansea West MP Torsten Bell has urged residents to help shape the investment, which is intended to address the deep-rooted social and economic challenges in the neighbourhood.

    A similar Section 35 order was imposed in Gorseinon earlier this year following a rise in anti-social behaviour there.

    The dispersal order expires at 9.30am on Friday 10 April. Anyone with information about disorder in the area is asked to contact South Wales Police.

    Related stories from Swansea Bay News

    Dyfatty crime crackdown: Major police operation targets Swansea hotspot
    South Wales Police launched the Dyfatty Clear Hold Build project in March, targeting serious organised crime and anti-social behaviour in the area.

    Swansea neighbourhood handed £20m boost as MP urges residents to shape decade of investment
    A major regeneration programme will invest up to £20 million in Dyfatty over the next decade.

    Police impose dispersal order in Gorseinon after rise in anti-social behaviour
    A similar Section 35 order was imposed in Gorseinon earlier this year following a rise in disorder.

    Safer Swansea city centre wins top UK award as crime falls
    Swansea city centre was recognised nationally for improvements in safety and reductions in crime.

    #antiSocialBehaviour #Dyfatty #section35DispersalOrder #SouthWalesPolice #SwanseaCityCentre #SwanseaCouncil #SwanseaMarina #SwanseaWaterfront
  2. Council draws up major new plan to reshape Swansea city centre and waterfront

    A new long‑term plan for the city centre

    The draft document, called Future Swansea, sets out how the council wants the city centre and waterfront to develop over the next 8–10 years. According to the Cabinet report, it replaces the previous 2016 framework and will help shape the next Local Development Plan, covering everything from public spaces and walking routes to new homes, jobs and major redevelopment sites.

    The plan covers the whole stretch from the seafront to Dyfatty Junction and from the River Tawe to Westway, including key gateways such as St Helens Road and the St Thomas Waterfront site.

    Derricks Music, The Midas Touch and the entrance to Picton Arcade — a snapshot of Swansea’s independent shops and long‑standing traders.
    (Image: Swansea Council)

    Building on recent regeneration

    The council says the plan is designed to pull together the next phase of work following a decade of major projects, including the Swansea Arena, the Kingsway and Orchard Street improvements, and new office space at 71/72 Kingsway. More schemes are already underway — such as the Castle Square redevelopment and Copr Bay phase two — with others in the pipeline, including the Civic Centre and St Thomas former station sites.

    The new plan aims to bring these strands together into a single long‑term direction for the city centre and waterfront.

    Consultation expected to start this month

    Cabinet members will decide on February 19 whether to put the plan out to public consultation. If approved, the consultation would run from late February through most of March. A shorter, easy‑read version will also be published so people can see what’s being proposed without having to read the full technical document.

    The draft has already been shaped by earlier engagement with more than 1,200 residents, businesses and organisations, according to the Cabinet report.

    Swansea’s beachfront and coastal skyline, with the Meridian Tower overlooking the bay and the city stretching into the hills.
    (Image: Swansea Council)

    What the plan focuses on

    The council says the plan aims to make Swansea a “vibrant, green and liveable ‘City on the Beach’,” with better public spaces, improved walking and cycling routes, and stronger links between the city centre, the seafront and the river.

    It also highlights potential changes around Swansea Market, the Quadrant, St Mary’s, High Street Station and the routes connecting the city centre to the waterfront. These ideas are at an early stage and will be refined after public feedback.

    ‘A real opportunity to shape the future’

    Cllr Robert Francis‑Davies, cabinet member for investment, regeneration, events and tourism, said the consultation would give residents “a real opportunity to shape the future of their city centre and waterfront.”

    He said Swansea had already seen significant change in recent years and the new plan “sets out the next steps in creating a greener, more vibrant and more welcoming city for everyone.”

    Morris Buildings and a bilingual city signpost pointing to key Swansea landmarks including the LC, the Waterfront Museum and the railway station.
    (Image: Swansea Council)

    What happens next

    If Cabinet signs off the consultation, the draft plan and summary version will be published later this month. Residents will then be able to give feedback until the end of March. The council will review all responses before presenting a final version of the plan to Cabinet for adoption as policy.

    Details of how to take part will be announced shortly.

    #CityByTheSea #CityOnTheBeach #placemaking #regeneration #Swansea #SwanseaCityCentre #SwanseaWaterfront