home.social

#calumhiggins — Public Fediverse posts

Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #calumhiggins, aggregated by home.social.

  1. CARMARTHENSHIRE: Two Debenhams buildings, two very different outcomes — as Senedd candidates question council’s town centre spending priorities

    Two former Debenhams buildings sit at the heart of two Welsh town centres – but their stories could not be more different, and the contrast is drawing scrutiny from candidates standing in Thursday’s Senedd election for Sir Gaerfyrddin.

    In Swansea, the former Debenhams building in the Quadrant was sold this week to Centurion – the company that already owns the shopping centre – with three major new tenants set to be announced within days. The sale was brokered by Swansea Council after the Welsh Government helped fund the purchase of the building.

    In Carmarthen, the picture is more complicated. Carmarthenshire County Council purchased the town’s former Debenhams building and announced plans to transform it into Atriwm, a cultural and community venue – part of a strategy to repurpose large vacant units left by departing chains.

    But opening has been pushed back to 2027 after a structural defect was discovered in the building following purchase – a complication the council says forms part of its £146 million capital programme.

    Welsh Labour’s Calum Higgins pictured in Ammanford town centre. Image: Welsh Labour

    Calum Higgins, Welsh Labour’s lead candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, said the situation raised serious questions about spending priorities across the county. “There have been some poorly thought out purchases in Carmarthen by the Plaid Cymru led Carmarthenshire County Council, and a lack of investment in towns like Ammanford and Llanelli because money is being sucked up by white elephants,” he said. He is calling for a Senedd inquiry into how local authorities spend money on town centres.

    The spending in Carmarthen comes against a backdrop of contested town centre plans for Llanelli and Ammanford set out by the council in September last year.

    The masterplan acknowledged that both towns face significant challenges – in Llanelli, the Murray Street multi-storey car park and indoor market beneath it are nearing the end of their structural life, while Ammanford’s plan focused on reconnecting the town centre with surrounding communities and tackling the leakage of shoppers to larger centres.

    Llanelli, Carmarthen and Ammanford — three of Carmarthenshire’s primary town centres at the heart of the debate over council spending priorities. Image: Carmarthenshire County Council

    Llanelli Market has been at the centre of significant controversy since plans emerged in July 2025 to demolish the existing building and relocate to the former Woolworths site, with traders and Labour councillors raising concerns about the process.

    A Bake Off star who opened a bakery in the market quit after just a year, blaming the council’s handling of the situation.

    Independent candidate Carl Peters-Bond inside Llanelli Market Hall. Image: Carl Peters-Bond

    Carl Peters-Bond, Mayor of Kidwelly and independent candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, said the pattern of spending reflected a wider failure of priorities. “Councils and Welsh Government must start listening to people rather than ploughing blindly on with vanity projects,” he said. “Money seems to be no object when it comes to Carmarthen – yet other market towns across the county are left to survive on whatever grant funding they can find, with all the restrictions and conditions that come with it.”

    Peters-Bond said the Llanelli Market move illustrated the problem. “The proposed move to the former Woolworths site is only happening because refurbishment of existing retail is a condition of the grant the council has applied for – not because it is the best outcome for the town or its people,” he said. Carmarthenshire Council has not publicly addressed this specific claim.

    Plaid Cymru’s Mari Arthur, candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin. Image: Plaid Cymru

    Plaid Cymru’s candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, Mari Arthur, pointed to a different root cause – arguing that the business rates system was working against town centres across Wales, not just in Carmarthenshire. “A café owner on Stepney Street pays rates that bear no relation to the advantages enjoyed by a big-box retailer on the edge of town,” she said. “That is not a fair system – it is a rigged one.” Plaid’s manifesto commits to restructuring business rates to level the playing field between high-street businesses and out-of-town retail.

    Carmarthenshire County Council’s position, as set out in its capital programme, is that the Atriwm project remains a long-term investment in Carmarthen’s cultural offer, with the 2027 opening date reflecting the work required to address the structural issues identified after purchase.

    Cabinet Member for Regeneration Cllr Hazel Evans said in September that the placemaking plans for all three towns would “only succeed if they’re driven by the communities they affect.”

    Related coverage

    Carmarthen’s old Debenhams reborn as Atriwm — but opening pushed back to 2027
    Our report on the delays and structural issues affecting the Carmarthen project.

    Swansea: Debenhams building sold to Quadrant owners as three major new tenants set to be named
    This week’s news on Swansea’s former Debenhams — a very different outcome.

    Llanelli faces twin loss as council moves to demolish market and multi-storey car park
    Our original report on the Llanelli Market controversy.

    Future of Llanelli, Ammanford and Carmarthen town centres set out in new plans
    The council’s own vision for town centres across Carmarthenshire, published September 2025.

    #Ammanford #CalumHiggins #CarlPetersBond #Carmarthen #Debenhams #Llanelli #MariArthur #SeneddElection2026
  2. SCARLETS: Candidates unite across party lines to demand Senedd scrutiny of WRU’s West Wales merger plans

    Candidates standing in the same Carmarthenshire constituency have united across party lines to demand greater scrutiny of the Welsh Rugby Union’s plans for professional rugby in West Wales, following the WRU’s restatement of its position at an extraordinary general meeting last week.

    The WRU used its EGM on April 13 to maintain its stance that only one professional team should represent West Wales — a position that would effectively force a merger between the Scarlets and the Ospreys, ending one or possibly both clubs as independent regional sides. Politicians of all parties are warning that the consequences would be felt far beyond the rugby pitch.

    Labour Senedd candidate Calum Higgins standing outside Parc Y Scarlets in Llanelli

    Calum Higgins, Labour’s lead candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, said scrutinising the WRU’s proposals would be a priority if elected on May 7.

    “It’s vital for the Carmarthenshire economy and rugby heritage in Llanelli that we have professional rugby here,” he said. “The Senedd should scrutinise the proposals and hold the WRU accountable for their actions.

    “There are also lots of fans from the other regions in Carmarthenshire, mainly Ospreys fans who are understandably worried about their future. Any decent rugby fan would be supporting each other during this — we shouldn’t allow the WRU to divide the regional rugby fan base.

    “If elected in May, a priority for me will be to scrutinise the proposals from a fan’s point of view. The rivalry between the Scarlets and Ospreys is something to protect and nurture for the future, and this proposal risks trashing rugby heritage in the South West.”

    Higgins, a keen rugby fan from Tycroes in Carmarthenshire, was pictured outside Parc y Scarlets.

    Independent Senedd candidate, Carl Peters-Bond at last year’s Scarlets march through Llanelli.

    Carl Peters-Bond, independent candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, said he had attended the Save Our Scarlets march in Llanelli last year and that the stakes went far beyond sport.

    “The Scarlets have a huge heritage in the area. The loss of the Scarlets through the WRU’s potential reduction of the number of professional sides would be devastating, not just for the economy of South West Wales — Llanelli in particular — but also for the culture of the region,” he said.

    “Rugby here is more than a sport. It’s part of who we are, and it binds our communities together. That’s why I’ll always stand up for the Scarlets and for grassroots rugby across Carmarthenshire.

    “This isn’t about party politics. It’s about protecting something that belongs to all of us. The Scarlets are woven into the fabric of west Wales life, and losing them would be a blow we cannot afford.”

    The sentiments echo those previously expressed by Cefin Campbell, Plaid Cymru’s lead candidate for Sir Gaerfyrddin, who backed a petition calling on the WRU to protect the Scarlets’ future during the union’s formal consultation period last September.

    Writing on his website at the time, Campbell said dissolving the Scarlets would be “disastrous news not only for Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, and the wider region, but also on a national level.”

    “A club that has produced legendary players — from Phil Bennett, Delme Thomas and Ray Gravell, to Stephen Jones and Ken Owens, to name but a few. And away from the pitch, the team contributes so much to the local economy, identity and culture. If this was lost it would leave a massive gap to fill and would lead to disillusionment by ordinary fans of the sport.”

    “We will be contributing to the formal consultation process as I hope thousands of others will as well, in order to send a clear message to the WRU that dissolution of the Scarlets is not the solution to the mismanagement of professional rugby in Wales over many years.”

    The cross-party response reflects growing concern among Carmarthenshire politicians ahead of the Senedd election, with candidates from Labour, Plaid Cymru, Conservatives and the independent benches all in agreement that the next Welsh Government must use its scrutiny powers to challenge the WRU’s direction of travel. The WRU’s insistence on a single West Wales team raises the prospect of a merger that could mean the end of the Scarlets, the Ospreys, or fundamentally alter both clubs beyond recognition.

    Swansea Bay News has reported extensively on the WRU’s plans for the future of professional rugby in Wales, including the reaction of supporters and the broader implications for the Scarlets and Ospreys.

    Related stories from Swansea Bay News

    WRU — all our coverage
    Full archive of our reporting on the Welsh Rugby Union’s regional restructuring plans.

    In pictures: Supporters join Save Our Scarlets march through Llanelli
    Our coverage of the protest march that Carl Peters-Bond attended.

    WRU doubles down on three-team plan after EGM as Ospreys supporters warn of lasting damage to Welsh rugby
    Our report on the EGM that prompted these responses.

    SENEDD ELECTION: Plaid on course to make history as largest party
    Our MRP analysis predicting which candidates are set to win seats in Sir Gaerfyrddin and across our area.

    #CalumHiggins #CarlPetersBond #Llanelli #SaveOurScarlets #Scarlets #SeneddElection2026 #WRU