#walesrugbyregions — Public Fediverse posts
Live and recent posts from across the Fediverse tagged #walesrugbyregions, aggregated by home.social.
-
WRU doubles down on three-team plan after EGM as Ospreys supporters warn of “lasting damage” to Welsh rugby
The EGM, held at the Principality Stadium on Monday evening, proceeded despite all three original motions being withdrawn at the start of the meeting after the announced departures of WRU chair Richard Collier-Keywood and Professional Rugby Board chair Malcolm Wall. Around 124 of the WRU’s 284 member clubs and districts attended either in person or online — meaning more than half stayed away entirely.
With no votes to cast, the meeting became a lengthy presentation by WRU leadership followed by an hour and a half of questions from the floor. CEO Abi Tierney reiterated the case for reducing to three professional teams, arguing that Wales is attempting to spread a limited talent pool too thinly and that years of underinvestment in development pathways had brought the game to its current point.
In the days before the meeting Swansea Bay News had warned it could end up as nothing more than a chat — and so it proved, with Tierney unable to offer any concrete timeline, detail on how the reduction would be delivered, or clarity on the Cardiff sale process.
Both Tierney and Collier-Keywood admitted during the meeting that they had made mistakes — specifically that they had spent too long trying to maintain four teams and persuade them to sign a new Professional Rugby Agreement before Cardiff went bust. Collier-Keywood said they tried to maintain four sides for too long amid disputes with the regions, with both agreeing the current benefactor model in Welsh rugby is not sustainable in the long term.
It was also suggested the union had suffered a £6 million shortfall in revenue due to poor Six Nations ticket sales, including a record low crowd for the home match against France. Former Principality Building Society COO Rob Regan — a vocal critic of the WRU’s plans who has been working on an alternative model — used the meeting to ask Tierney directly to admit mistakes in order to help rebuild public trust.
The reaction from the Ospreys community was swift and unequivocal. The Ospreys Supporters Club said it was “extremely disappointed, though not surprised” by the outcome, adding that the WRU’s position remained unchanged despite recent leadership changes.
In a statement, the supporters group described the current situation as “the result of years of chronic mismanagement and neglect at the top of the game” and warned that removing a professional side in west Wales would risk “causing lasting damage to the sport in one of its strongest heartlands.” The OSC called on the WRU to “urgently reconsider its position, rebuild trust through genuine engagement, and work collaboratively with stakeholders before further damage is done.”
Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart had urged clubs to maintain maximum pressure going into the meeting, warning that not voting to remove Collier-Keywood — even though he had already announced his departure — “would send all the wrong messages and is open to misrepresentation by the WRU.” He confirmed that Swansea Council’s legal action remains ready, a CMA referral remains live and the commitment to the Ospreys remains at “100%.”
Stewart also confirmed that work on the St Helen’s redevelopment is expected to start soon as part of the co-investment plan agreed with the Ospreys, with the aim of creating a new venue ready for the start of the 2026/27 season.
Torsten Bell MP also called on clubs to use the meeting to oppose the three-team plan, describing the stakes as “not about technical governance issues” but about “safeguarding the soul of Welsh rugby.” He said Wales deserved a WRU that “brings everyone to the table and explores every option before making decisions that will see major changes to our game.”
The meeting heard a notable moment of contrast on the floor. CGRU representative Chris Morgan argued that Wales’s period of international success had been built on four professional teams and that abandoning that structure without a credible alternative amounted to “a dereliction of duty that could destroy Welsh rugby.” His remarks drew applause from parts of the room. However, a separate club representative later claimed a significant proportion of clubs remained firmly behind the WRU’s proposals — drawing what was reportedly the loudest and most sustained applause of the evening.
Tierney, speaking to journalists after the meeting, said she was confident in strong grassroots support for the three-team plan but was unable to provide further detail on how or when a decision would be reached. She denied the reduction automatically meant a straight shootout between the Ospreys and Scarlets for the western licence, saying there were “a few different permutations.” She also declined to comment on the status of the Scarlets’ legal action against the WRU.
On the Cardiff sale, Tierney admitted no deal had yet been agreed with Y11 Sport & Media, with the exclusivity period due to end on April 22 and reports suggesting Y11 may be reconsidering its position. She also confirmed the WRU is working closely with the United Rugby Championship but was unable to say whether a replacement for the fourth Welsh side in the competition had been found.
The WRU confirmed it will use external headhunters to appoint a new independent chair, with the process to begin in May and the new person expected to be in place by early summer. As Swansea politicians called for a reset following Collier-Keywood’s initial announcement, the mood in Welsh rugby remains one of deep uncertainty — and the questions that defined this EGM remain entirely unanswered.
Related stories from Swansea Bay News
WRU EGM: Welsh rugby’s extraordinary meeting — but it could end up as nothing more than a chat
Our preview of Monday’s meeting and what was at stake.Ospreys lifeline as council seals historic St Helen’s deal
The groundbreaking agreement that could secure the Ospreys’ future in Swansea.Collier-Keywood quits: Rugby Union chair says he’ll leave in July
The announcement that changed the shape of the EGM.Ospreys fans close in on 10,000-name petition target
#AbiTierney #CllrRobStewart #EGM #MartynRyan #Ospreys #RichardCollierKeywood #Rugby #WalesRugby #WalesRugbyRegions #WRU
The scale of opposition to the WRU’s three-team plan. -
WRU outlines next steps in elite rugby restructure amid backlash
WRU Director of Rugby and Elite Performance, Dave Reddin, said the transition will be collaborative, fair and focused on the long‑term strength of Welsh rugby.
Consultation marks “start of the next phase”
The WRU began consultation in August, engaging widely with clubs, players and stakeholders. Reddin said the announcement of the board’s decision was a milestone, but stressed that the detailed work now begins.
“We have already met with each of the four professional sides in a structured way and will be working through the detail with them all,” he explained. “We’ll look together at everything from financial stability and governance to player development, community connection, facilities and demographics.”
Difficult decisions ahead
Reddin acknowledged that deciding which three teams will continue in the new model will be challenging. “Every team carries its own heritage supported by a passionate community, and that deserves full respect,” he said. “But we have to balance this with the shared goal of building something sustainable, competitive and fit for future success on and off the field.”
The WRU will also continue discussions with the United Rugby Championship (URC) to ensure the new structure works for the competition, and will meet with the Welsh Rugby Players Association (WRPA) to keep players at the heart of planning.
Backlash across Wales
The proposals have sparked fierce opposition across South and West Wales, with community leaders, politicians and fans voicing anger at the potential loss of historic clubs. In Llanelli, councillors branded the WRU’s plan “a back of a fag packet proposal” and warned it would devastate the Scarlets’ future. The town’s mayor joined thousands of supporters in a “Save Our Scarlets” march, accusing the WRU of ignoring Llanelli’s rugby heritage.
In Swansea, civic leaders slammed the three‑club plan as “not fit for purpose,” warning it would undermine the Ospreys and damage the city’s rugby identity. Meanwhile, MPs have criticised the WRU, describing the move as a “U‑turn” and accusing the union of “bully boy tactics.” This backlash has highlighted the depth of feeling in communities where rugby is seen as central to local identity, and has raised questions about whether consensus can be reached.
No deadline set
WRU Chair Richard Collier‑Keywood has confirmed there is no fixed deadline for the process. “We’re not setting an arbitrary deadline,” Reddin said. “Everyone wants certainty, but rushing could risk getting it wrong. We are hopeful of reaching a consensus as quickly as possible. If that is not possible, we will move to an open, fair and transparent competitive tender for the three future licences – one in the capital, one in the East and one in the West of Wales.”
Commitment to clubs and players
Reddin stressed that Wales will continue to field four professional sides during the transition period. “Our commitment to the URC remains absolute. We also have commitments to the current agreements in place with the four professional clubs and to honouring the contracts of players,” he said.
£28m investment in Welsh rugby
Alongside the restructure, the WRU is preparing detailed plans for investment in five key areas: men’s player development, the women’s elite programme, a national talent insights and management scheme, coaching investment, and the new Super Rygbi Cymru competition. The WRU has pledged £28m over five years to support these pillars, which Reddin said will bring “hugely positive change to the game.”
The WRU say that more detail is set to be published in the coming weeks.
#daveReddin #ospreys #richardCollierE28091keywood #rugby #scarlets #superRygbiCymru #unitedRugbyChampionship #urc #walesRugby #walesRugbyRegions #welshRugbyPlayersAssociation #welshRugbyUnion #wrpa #wru
-
Scarlets and Ospreys face fight for survival as WRU confirms three‑club model
One in the east, one in the capital, one in the west
The WRU Board has confirmed its new structure will see three professional men’s clubs: one in east Wales, one in Cardiff, and one in the west. That secures the Dragons’ future in Newport and guarantees a capital‑based side, but leaves the Scarlets and Ospreys in direct competition for the single West Wales licence.
Collier‑Keywood told reporters: “That’s not what we’re saying at all. There will only be one club in the west, but the clubs can apply. One of them may make a bid for Cardiff, or merge. We’d rather this be done by consent.”
‘Wales’ most successful region’ will continue to engage with WRU say Ospreys
The Ospreys, Wales’ most decorated region, issued a statement following meetings with the WRU:
“Ospreys Rugby met with Malcolm Wall and Dave Reddin from the WRU this morning, where they laid out their plans for Welsh rugby.
Ospreys are Wales’ most successful region, having won more league titles, produced players who’ve won more Welsh caps and been selected for more British and Irish Lions tours than any other region.
We will continue to engage with the WRU with the intention of reaching an agreement which continues that proud tradition. Our intention is and always has been to find a solution which works in the best interests of Welsh rugby and Ospreys Rugby, not only at an elite level but across the entirety of the game and the communities involved in it.”
Scarlets confident of future role in West Wales
The Scarlets Board of Directors said they are confident the club will continue to play a central role in the future of the game in West Wales from its home at Parc y Scarlets.
In a detailed statement, the board called on supporters and stakeholders to embrace the long‑term opportunity of Scarlets “championing the future of sustainable and successful pro rugby based in West Wales.”
The club highlighted its record of two league titles, 12 European quarter‑finals and five European semi‑finals, its role in producing 34% of Wales internationals over the last decade, and its deep cultural and economic impact — adding £17m annually to the local economy and engaging more than 40,000 young people each year through its community foundation.
Scarlets also stressed the unique facilities at Parc y Scarlets, describing it as a “ready‑made high‑performance and commercial hub” for the professional and community game.
The board concluded: “Rugby must stay connected to its communities, people and history and its values. That’s what gives our game its soul. We want reform that strengthens Welsh rugby. With Scarlets in the future structure, Welsh rugby keeps a proven talent pathway, an internationally respected brand and a first‑class home for rugby at Parc y Scarlets.”
Cardiff reassured, Dragons secure
Cardiff Rugby said it was “relieved and encouraged” after being assured one of the three licences will be in the capital. The Dragons are also seen as secure under the east allocation.
What happens next
The WRU has pledged to honour existing Professional Rugby Agreement contracts — with the Scarlets and Ospreys tied in until 2027, and Cardiff and Dragons until 2028. But Collier‑Keywood has made clear he wants the new model in place “as quickly as possible”.
For now, the Scarlets and Ospreys — the two clubs that have defined West Wales rugby for two decades — are locked in a battle for survival, whether through merger, relocation or the loss of one side altogether.
Related stories from Swansea Bay News
WRU confirms elite rugby shake‑up with three‑club model after record consultation
Union announces £40m investment and major boost for women’s game alongside restructure.WRU may scrap half of Wales’ rugby regions in radical restructure
Consultation launched on cutting professional teams from four to three — or even two.WRU expected to push for halving pro teams in seismic shake‑up
Early reporting on plans that could have reduced the pro game to just two sides.WRU announcement leaves rugby regions in limbo over future
Ospreys and Scarlets left outside the new Professional Rugby Agreement.WRU sets out four futures for Welsh rugby as consultation begins
Union publishes options for the future of the professional game in Wales.#Ospreys #RichardCollierKeywood #Rugby #Scarlets #WalesRugbyRegions #WelshRugby #WelshRugbyUnion #WRU #WRUBoard
-
WRU expected to announce plan to cut to three professional sides by 2028
Four regions safe for now
Reports suggest the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) will confirm its long‑term strategy in the coming days, following months of consultation and debate.
The governing body is understood to favour a three‑team model, with one side in the east, one central and one in the west. That would mean Cardiff, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets continue for now, but one region could be lost before the end of the current United Rugby Championship (URC) cycle in 2028.
From four options to one
Back in August, the WRU put forward four possible futures for the professional game. Two involved cutting to three teams, one with equal funding and one with unequal. Another suggested halving to two sides – described as the “optimal system” – while the fourth kept four teams but with a financial reshuffle.
The two‑team option provoked fierce opposition from players, supporters and politicians, with more than 7,000 people responding to a public survey. Wales captain Jac Morgan warned he would leave the domestic game if Ospreys were axed.
Stakeholder pressure
It is also understood that tournament organisers were reluctant to see an immediate reduction, with the URC keen to maintain four Welsh teams alongside its Irish, Scottish, Italian and South African participants.
The WRU’s current URC commitments run until the end of the 2027‑28 season, meaning any change would align with the next league cycle.
What happens next
While no official statement has yet been published by the WRU, reports indicate the governing body will announce its decision before the end of October.
If confirmed, the plan would provide short‑term stability for all four regions but leave the longer‑term future of professional rugby in Wales uncertain.
More Rugby News
Catch up on the latest rugby stories
From Scarlets and Ospreys in the URC to grassroots clubs across South West Wales, follow all the action, reaction and analysis in one place.- Match previews and reports
- Player interviews and features
- Updates from Welsh rugby and the URC
#Consultation #Ospreys #Rugby #Scarlets #UnitedRugbyChampionship #WalesRugby #WalesRugbyRegions #WelshRugby #WelshRugbyUnion #WRU